General Plan Update
- The Richmond General Plan of 2030 was approved in April 2012. It includes elements on Community Health and Wellness, Energy and Climate Change, and Open Space preservation.
- Incorporated an Energy and Climate Change element into their General Plan. The element provides policy direction for Richmond to protect its energy resources and respond to climate change.
Climate Action Planning
- In 2009, Richmond completed its greenhouse gas emissions inventory.
- Richmond Rivets, or Transition Richmond, is an environmental initiative to combat climate change.
- Citizens for a Better Environment (CBE) works to reduce pollution, increase green career opportunities, and promotes clean energy solutions for Richmond residents.
City of Richmond website.
Last updated July 2019.
The City of Richmond is a leader in environmental health and justice initiatives. Whether it’s through our new sustainability-focused General Plan, our bike and pedestrian pathways, our community gardens, our clean-tech businesses, our solar & energy efficiency rebates or our award-winning green job training program, the City of Richmond is transforming itself into a 21st Century city reversing the profound environmental and social ills of the past century.
Gayle McLaughlin, Councilmember and former Mayor, City of Richmond, CA