Pleasant Hill Accomplishments:
General Plan Update
- Pleasant Hill last updated their General Plan in 2003. It is current through 2023. It contains elements on Open Space conservation and minor elements on energy conservation.
Climate Action Planning
- Completed a GHG Inventory for their Municipal Operations.
- Sustainable Community Program Green Pleasant Hill. This program provides support for all aspects of environmental awareness and community involvement for Pleasant Hill.
- Provides Architectural Design Guidelines for Residential and Non-Residential Businesses regarding energy efficiency in building design.
- Pleasant Hill promotes their green businesses through the Contra Costa County Green Business Program.
- Pleasant Hill opened the 4th Bay area Electric Vehicle Charging Stations.
- Adopted a plastic ban ordinance in August 2014 which goes into effect on February 2015.
- Pleasant Hill implemented an Environmental Purchasing Policy
- C&D ordinance requiring a 50% diversion of waste from the landfill
- Pleasant Hill Library Green Zone is a place of reference for waste reduction education and information.
- Free composting classes with compost bins on sale for residents who attend the class.
- Offering curbside pick-up of yardwaste (weekly) and recyclables (bi-weekly) and picks up hazardous waste materials (Computer monitors and TVs) for an extra fee.
- The city has a Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance that requires new buildings to submit plans that are water efficient.
- The city uses recycled water for unrestricted landscape irrigation according to requirements of the State Department of Health Services and the California Regional Water Quality Control Board.
- APT Water was awarded the Pollution Prevention Award by the Central Contra Costa Sanitary District in 2011.
- The city has a 15% Drought Management Program where industrial customers are asked to save 5%, irrigation/agricultural and flat rate un-metered customers asked to save 45% and residential customers asked to save 15%.
- Pleasant Hill is creating a Bike and Pedestrian Master Plan to allow for additional environmentally friendly transportation.
- The City has a Residential Chicken Ordinance allowing 5 backyard chickens, considering them equal to cats or dogs.
- Hosts weekly local farmer’s market from May to November to provide fresh produce from local farmers.
- The city provides links to green transportation options in Pleasant Hill.
- Received Walk Score of 63 and rated as Somewhat Walkable.
- Passed ordinance prohibiting smoking and using tobacco products in district parks, open space and facilities.
- Green Pleasant Hill is a council run sustainability group in the city.
- The Chamber of Commerce supports the Green Business Program.
City of Pleasant Hill website