General Plan Update
- The City Council last updated Orinda’s General Plan in 1987. At that time it included minor elements on energy conservation and managing their natural resources.
- They have a 2009 Strategy paper that contains elements on climate change, energy efficiency, alternative energy, transport options, water efficiency and conservation. Most of the strategies are listed as existing and currently underfunded.
Climate Action Planning
- The City Hall received a Gold LEED certification and has a number of energy and water conservation strategies.
- Community wide Greenhouse Gas Inventory completed.
- Joined ICLEI‘s Cities for Climate Protection Campaign current until 5.31.12.
- Use of LEED Green Building Standards for City Hall.
- Received PG&E Rebate for Savings by Design program.
- There are currently no projects in Waste Reduction.
- Water efficient landscaping around City Hall.
- Orinda supports local agriculture through its Contra Costa Certified Farmers Market.
- The 2009 Strategic Plan includes elements on reducing vehicle use in favor of bicycles, and public transport.
- The 2009 Strategic Plan includes a minor element on preserving Open Space.
- The Friends of Orinda Creeks works to preserve and protect the creeks around Orinda.
City of Orinda Website