General Plan Update
- In 2015, the Danville Town Council adopted its 2030 General Plan, carrying forward the vision set forth in Danville’s first two General Plans (adopted in 1987 and updated in 1999). The update includes detailed measures from the Climate Action Plan approved in 2009.
- Danville concurrently adopted the Sustainability Action Plan in 2012 to encourage more environmentally sustainable transportation, construction, energy use, solid waste disposal, and water conservation practices.
Climate Action Planning
- Climate Action Plan (CAP) completed and approved by council in 2009. Town of Danville Climate Action Plan.
- GHG Inventory for municipal buildings as well as the community at large was completed.
- Joined ICLEI‘s Cities for Climate Protection Campaign
- Energy Efficiency and Block Grant Program (EECBG) Funding for LED street lighting retrofit project in partnership with PG&E. This has led to a 50% reduction in energy usage.
- Installation of solar arrays at the Town Offices, Town Service Center, Diablo Vista Park and Sycamore Valley Park in 2012.
- Processes over 95% of residential solar permits on the same year.
- Danville provides a list of energy conservation tips for residents
- Town Service Center and Town Offices are Bay Area Green Building Certified facilities
- Danville co-sponsors three “Unwaste your world” recycling events per year to help prevent wastes from going straight to landfill.
- Construction and Demolition (C&D) recycling ordinance and program
- Provides Green Building options for building permits
- Encourages Pharmaceutical recycling available in the Town Offices
- Provides free Household Hazardous Waste collection and recycling
- Provides Inkjet, toner and battery recycling
- Allocates Curbside recycling and oil recycling curbside
- Existing general plan promotes water conservation and efficiency.
- Promotes water conservation by linking to H2Ouse.net from the city homepage.
- Implemented a Central Irrigation System that prevents overwatering and monitors water consumption.
- Installed artificial turf fields.
- Danville participates in Street Smarts program to change pedestrians, cyclists and driver behavior
- Supports Annual Bike to Work Day.
- Provides employees with ridesharing, vanpool and alternative transportation incentives.
- Danville has a streetscape plan to include trees along city streets.
- The existing General Plan has a goal of conserving existing open spaces on hillsides
- Adopted a Scenic Hillside Ordinance
- Community group Sustainable Danville Area
- Supports Annual Earth Day Event and sustainability events
Town of Danville website.